I know I have said it before, I have enough beads, but I never have quite what I need. I need some gold toned headpins to add some fobs for the end of the extension chain.
There are lessons learned in every project. I had intended to use tried and true pieces for this bracelet; instead I created a new beaded bead. I must say that was serendipitous. I love this beaded bead and will make it again. It is rich, highly textured, and substantial. It can be incorporated end to end or side to side.
One of the lessons I need to learn over and over is joinery. This was actually the lesson I set out to learn on this project. The cinnabar bead is drilled along the length, but I wanted to join to the sides for this bracelet. That was easily accomplished with the bezel and a few 4mm bicones. I simply wove the cinnabar focal to the elongated embellished beaded bead with bicones.
|Mercurial main join|
Bracelets are more wearable if they are flat on the back of the wrist. I made two embellished ribbons of peyote. The bracelet is reversible.
|Mercurial Red Embellished Side|
|Mercurial Gold Side|
I bought a few reduction bars, but they did not fit the spacing of my peyote ribbon to match the beaded bead. I thought I would match the bicone connection but just could not line up the bicones on both sides of the join in any balanced way. Instead, I wove the ribbon directly to the elongated embellished beaded bead. (I really need to name that darn bead!)
|Mercurial Peyote Ribbon Join I- from an angle|
|Mercurial Peyote Ribbon Join II- straight on and close up. Red bicones are 4mm|
The final lesson was on joining the clasp to the finished bracelet. Last week I made a trip to a well stocked bead store and bought a ribbon crimp end. Lesson: it did not work, I broke a few beads. It would have looked really pretty had it worked. I need to learn how to use ribbon crimp ends. I reverted to a tried and true method; I decreased the peyote to form a point, attached a jump ring through my 10/0 delicas, and attached a chain on one end and a lobster claw on the other.
All in all I am pleased with the way this turned out. I would have liked it better had I been able to attach the peyote ribbon to the elongated embellished beaded bead with the bicones as it would have made the piece better balanced. I suspect I am being too picky with my own work.
Two final pictures for perspective.
|Mercurial Measuring Up|