|It's A Clasp|
I feel like I cheated. This is not what I envisioned. However, it works.
Okay, so why do I feel like I cheated? Because I bought some tutorials from Nicole Hanna. This clasp is a very slight adaptation from her Hang My Heart Earrings.
Here is a bad picture of my first attempt at her tutorial next to half of the finished clasp:
|Side by side results|
I used larger wires and added a few more weaves to compensate for the larger wires. I also only used the central element of her earring design.
I fabricated three different hooks for the clasp. I am not going to keep the hook in the picture at the top of this blog; I think it is too weak. Instead I will use the hook with the flower embellishment pictured to the right.
I like the hook with the weaving but it is far from smooth when actually trying to hook the clasp.
I have been considering constructing my own findings for years. I was pushed into doing more than mere contemplation by Cindy Wimmer's The Missing Link book and the lack of a multi-strand clasp for the necklace I am making.
I think I made a mistake when my first attempt at making a wire woven clasp was for a multi-strand necklace. A simple single strand clasp or a toggle and bar clasp would have been a better choice at this stage. Nonetheless, I am happy with the results. Here is the serviceable but not quite so pretty back:
|The multi-strand back|
One more picture for the blog with a ruler to give you an idea of the size.
Some final thoughts:
- I want more practice- especially with those curls.
- I want to do more design, but that requires better skills and more practice.
- Tool marks are like thread, they really show up in pictures more so than to the unaided eye.
- I want to keep doing this.