Sunday, May 27, 2012

Third Times The Charm

Are you your own worst critic?  Do you see all the tiny flaws? 

After the first attempt at bezeling the turquoise slab using a single thread technique I had a really ugly corner with large gaps.  Not only was it ugly but it also did not bode well for longevity.  Exposed threads pulled that tight are more likely to snap.
Stretched corner on bezeled slab turquoise
On the second attempt, I used the same technique but added an additional bead making the bezel looser. The corner was better, but still not up to my standards.  The bottom two were done in the single thread technique.
Corner views of bezeled turquoise slab.
I decided to go with a technique using multiple pieces that I learned from Melanie Doerman.  I do not buy many tutorials.  I saw this bracelet in the Summer 2009 issue of Belle Amoire Jewelry and contacted Melanie before it was even in her store. 
Belle Amore Summer 2009, Fragments by Melanie Doerman

In preparing this post I made a visit to Melanie's website, The Magpie, and there learned of her recent death.  It is a loss to the beading world and I will miss her talent.

Using a slight variation on her technique, the worst corner on my turquoise slab looks like this:
Corner view bezeled turquoise slab

From the front it looks like this:
Bezeled turquoise slab, at last.

Here are a few more pictures:
Close up corner view, stacked turquoise slabs

A tangle of threads- bezeled turquoise slab in progress
Three tries at bezeling the turquoise slab.
You can see the final bezeled turquoise slab on the right, above.  The corners are sharper.  Although the end piece looks thicker and longer all three slabs are close to the same size.  I considered using Melanie's technique when I started but  opted for the more simple technique.  Next time I will know.

8 comments:

  1. Hello:-)
    It's not easy to bezel the rectangle.I can see the differences and as the lat photo shows-the optical illusions ,concerning the size,thickness and visual effects of three bezeled rectangles of the same kind.I do not know,how I'd deal with,but I think,I'd have to think of that problem in the future,for I've been given lots of fantastic polymer clay cabochons and one of them is rectangular.I like it so much and wouldn't like to spoil it,making the bezel in inapropriate way.So,this lesson is for me very precious:-)
    And,as for YOur question at the beginning:
    It's a tough time for me,when it comes to criticising myself:-)Oooo,yeah!I am the worst and the most strict critic for all those I make .I always see something,that I should have done,but didn't.I'd correct everything even after years:-))But...I still learn and develop.Clearly saying,as for beadweaving I am a fresh beginner.Your post makes me think about my eight months of beading.Really.Not longer.I haven't even seen such things before.I've discovered my new passion,living in Denmark,though I think I was the only one there to be making such kind of jewels,which is rather still not very popular in Scandinavia.
    But back to Your rectangles-the last one is perfect.The bracelet is very unique.NO strange,You are going to make something like that.
    Happy Beading to You-All the Best-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a similar bracelet as a baby gift- each pane had a picture of the babies. I used the same technique to make another baby gift for my niece. I made another bracelet as a test piece first. This bezel was a variation, but not by much.

      The difficult part is the corners- they are not at all rounded and it does take a different approach. If you follow the link and page back through Melanie's blog you can see pictures of her work in progress.

      I watch your blog Halinka and I am confident you will work out the best way to use that cabochon. If the open back does not work you could always try embroidery- something I have not done much of.

      Delete
  2. KY - you are a perfectionist and that is why your creations stand head and shoulders above the others. :)

    I've not tried to bezel a rectangular cabochon but I will definitely keep this post of yours tucked into my favorite bookmarked beading file for future reference (just in case I should find myself with a lovely rectangular cab that begs for a lush seed beaded frame).

    I visited Melanie's "Magpie" website . . . she was indeed most talented and her passing is a big loss to the beading world. Hopefully someone is going to maintain her online presence insuring that her vision and creativity is passed on to future beaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops - silly index typing finger! ... that is supposed to be KJ. :[ (sorry (slapping myself across my wrist)

      Delete
  3. PS: Yes KJ, I too see every minute imperfection in my work and,though others may strain to see them, those tiny flaws seem to scream out at me loudly, clearly and most demandingly. LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't even noticed the KY until you corrected yourself.

    Bezeling something squarish is okay, if the corners are rounded you don't have an issue. It is the sharp corners that get you.

    Melanie was very generous when I contacted her and I was shocked at her death. Her work really appealed to me. I used the pattern of the bracelet above to create keepsakes with pictures of newborns for family members.

    We all magnify our own flaws. Knowing that will not help me ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! amazing work!!! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nagyon érdekes megoldással szépséges karkötőt készítettél !!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing. I had to turn off anonymous comments because spam was being posted.