Sunday, February 16, 2014

It's A Clasp

It's A Clasp

I feel like I cheated.  This is not what I envisioned. However, it works.

Okay, so why do I feel like I cheated? Because I bought some tutorials from Nicole Hanna.  This clasp is a very slight adaptation from her Hang My Heart Earrings.  

Here is a bad picture of my first attempt at her tutorial next to half of the finished clasp:
Side by side results

Alternate hooks

I used larger wires and added a few more weaves to compensate for the larger wires.  I also only used the central element of her earring design.


I fabricated three different hooks for the clasp.  I am not going to keep the hook in the picture at the top of this blog; I think it is too weak.  Instead I will use the hook with the flower embellishment pictured to the right.

I like the hook with the weaving but it is far from smooth when actually trying to hook the clasp.




I have been considering constructing my own findings for years.  I was pushed into doing more than mere contemplation by Cindy Wimmer's The Missing Link book and the lack of a multi-strand clasp for the necklace I am making.

I think I made a mistake when my first attempt at making a wire woven clasp was for a multi-strand necklace.  A simple single strand clasp or a toggle and bar clasp would have been a better choice at this stage.  Nonetheless, I am happy with the results.  Here is the serviceable but not quite so pretty back:
The multi-strand back


One more picture for the blog with a ruler to give you an idea of the size.

Some final thoughts:
  • I want more practice- especially with those curls. 
  • I want to do more design, but that requires better skills and more practice.  
  • Tool marks are like thread, they really show up in pictures more so than to the unaided eye.
  • I want to keep doing this.   
Oh, and all errors are my own and not a reflection of the fabulous work and tutorials of Nicole Hanna.

18 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I love to see the designs utilized in new ways and this makes a perfect clasp the way you've arranged it. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole. I think I am off to a good start and this is a good compliment to my first love- bead weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been inspired to try my hand at making my own findings after reading Cindy's book, too. I think it's fantastic, how you thought through your modifications to render those gorgeous earrings into a clasp. (And you're so right about those #@!!% tool marks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh with your comment about the tool marks. They really are not so visible to the naked eye. Although I am giving serious consideration to making this clasp again out of better wire- not sterling because I am not that good yet, but silver filled wire rather than the coated wire I used here.

      I have been inspired by Nicole for a while. I had two of her tutorials before this endeavor so I knew I could do it. I have also really enjoyed Cindy's book. It just did not seem right to make a chain and then use a store-bought clasp.

      There is absolutely no reason why we cannot all be making clasps at least part of the time.

      Delete
  4. Hi KJ,
    I am just starting with wire wrapping and I have been having fun learning. I too own Cindy's book and have drooled over her designs. I love your clasp and that you adapted it from an earring pattern. I agree with what you told Karin there is no reason why we can not make our own beautiful clasps to go with our beautiful bead work. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful wire work.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Therese. Clasps have always been an issue for me. I was thrilled when I learned how to make a beaded bar and toggle clasp and that works for most of what I do, but not all. It is fun to learn new skills and I just love the look of woven wire. I hope you are enjoying your venture into wire. It is a great compliment to the beadwork.

      Delete
  5. You did a beautiful job on the clasp,. It looks like you have been doing wire wrapping for ages, good job my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have had a bit of practice. It is kind of like peyote stitch- get started right and keep everything tight. I cannot say enough good things about Nicole's tutorials. They really are good.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Gwen. It was both fun and challenging and I am looking forward to creating more clasps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your clasp is gorgeous, and I don't think you should feel like you cheated! Sometimes a tutorial is just a jumping off place for your own creativity. I'd say your muse took charge and did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha. Here it is a week later and I still haven't finished the necklace.

      My muse is still working. This was merely the first. Next time though I want to make something for a single strand!

      Delete
  8. KJ, I think you did an amazing job. It is a rather complex clasp and decidedly not for a novice ( I would never attempt such a piece as I know it is well beyond my abilities). Oh yes, yes, yes about the tool marks . . . cameras seem to exaggerate each tiny scratch and dent - much like you mentioned, that teeny bit of lint or thread when you're taking photos of the finished project. Something almost unnoticeable to the naked eye become enormously obvious through the lens of a camera set on Macro. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot... I know I responded to you Anna; it seems my response went astray.

      Thank you. Weaving wire looks a lot more complex than it is. Either that or Nicole Hanna's tutorials make it easier than expected. Or maybe a bit of both. Nicole's tutorials are not expensive and she actually has the basics as a freebe. You should give it a try.

      I laughed at your lint comment. I have been exactly there and thread that is not obvious just pops out at you in photos.

      Delete
  9. Clearly a lot of work went into getting this clasp made. It is really beautiful and functional and will be a great addition to any piece of jewelry. I look forward to seeing the future clasps that come out of your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a lot of practice not a lot of work. :)

      Thank you. I need to finish the necklace I made this for then I want to create another clasp for something more simple. New skills are always fun.

      I am glad you are feeling better.

      Delete
  10. I appreciate your showing the mistakes as well the finished work. Too often only the finished work is shown. I prefer seeing the whole process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I like seeing the back of pieces as well because I want to see how they are finished. Learning takes time and practice. I think I have benefited with the wire work by having done wire wrapping, some textile weaving, but mostly because I have practiced fine motor skills with the bead weaving. Nonetheless, the shaping continues to be a struggle. It is fun to learn something new.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing. I had to turn off anonymous comments because spam was being posted.